Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Beginning

This is a new year and a new beginning for me and my "blogging". I haven't been as committed as I would have liked over the past year, so I figured, new year, new start.

I'm starting to think about my age...i actually started when i turned 27. That just seemed like such a difference from 25 and 26. And then I started thinking about what I want to accomplish before I turn 30...not that I'm freaked out about my age or THIRTY or anything like that. It just seems like a landmark age where people reconsider their lives or reevaluate their life plans. So. Here's where we are at almost 29:

Living in Nashville. I like it. I like the city, I like the proximity to my family and I can deal with the weather...sort of...plus great friends, decent food and lovely cheap housing.

Great partner! G is wonderful. And he's been really supportive and encouraging when it comes to my business ideas and crafty goals. Plus he's more driven then I am and can get me off my ass when necessary.

New baby! Bean is the best I could have ever asked for. He's inspiring and lovable and fun the squish on...I love him to bits. He makes me want to make miniature things...

Business: Getting off the ground, sort of. I have so many ideas in my head and in piles on little slips of paper that it's been taking a long time for me to focus and start something solid. So i just picked something and I think it's already really rewarding. It's called McLoud9 and I make aprons and kitchen accessories (pot holders, coasters, napkins, placemats...) out of reclaimed and vintage fabrics. I'm actually a semi-crazy recycling nerd, so repurposing fabrics makes me feel really good - like I'm doing something for me, for others and for the greater good. I feel like a lot of our problems as a nation and as a world could be served, if not fixed, by moving away from a disposable lifestyle. Buying local foods, repurposing things we buy, recycling things we can, and simply not purchasing things we don't need or that can't be repurposed or recycled could change, in my opinion, the world.

So!

In an effort to pare down and live up to my new standards of less is more, I'm cleaning out the ole fabric stash and To Do box. My newest goal is what I call my 30 Before 30. 30 projects that I already started and never finished or projects that I purchased all the supplies for and never started. Believe me. There are more than 30 of these projects. I just picked the best ones ; )

Here's the complete list:

1. Reupholster Vintage Chair
2. T-shirt Quilt
3. Coat
4. Yellow Seersucker Dress
5. Purple Jacket
6. Cowboy shirt
7. Arthur's Hoodie
8. Owl Quilt
9. New Personal Slopers
10. Cloth Diapers
11. Knit Rug
12. Earring/Jewelry Repairs
13. Laura's Dress
14. Plaid skirt-into-dress redo
15. Hallway Cabinet
16. Chiffon Shirt
17. Owl Softies
18. Pizza Pincushions
19. Mom's Shirt/Slopers
20. Blue Plaid Cowboy Shirtdress
21. Turquoise Jacket
22. Black and White Dress
23. Shopping Cart/High Chair cover
24. Cloth Napkins/Paper Towels
25. Bib T-Shirt
26. Arthur's Embroidered Wall Art
27. Learn to Crochet
28. Grayson's Diaper Bag
29. Dressing Robe
30. Coral Embroidery

There. Now, each project is supposed to take 2 weeks. Some are much more difficult and time consuming than others, and some of them are almost done. But I get two weeks! I will do an entry for each one with plenty of pictures and history on why I chose the project and how long it's just been sitting in my craft room...and how many times I've packed it up and moved it from one state to another, haha. There are at least 4 more projects that I found that almost made the list, plus innumerable other projects that are not sewing based that will probably sneak in here...so we'll see how the next year goes and how crazy i feel afterwards! I hope to feel a great sense of relief and pride on how clean my craft room is and how padded my wardrobe ends up.

Technically I only have until the 14th to finish my first project from this list...better get started!

1 comment:

  1. You've inspired me to make my own list and complete some unfinished projects!

    ReplyDelete